Monday, July 23, 2012

Ride the Tide

With all the rain in the area, the incoming tide would bring lots of water giving me access to areas that I normally wouldn't have access to. I started off as usual in the thick stuff targeting open pockets with a spinner where I would land my first of four 17 inch largemouth bass.

I moved towards the creek when I noticed bait fish swimming for their life and a huge bass launch into the air. I normally don't fish this area as many of the locals fish from shore. On this day, not many people were out. I thought I would give it a whirl. I didn't land her but I did catch my second bass on a stick bait. Not a big girl but a good fight as always.





Off I went after several casts and misses including a snakehead. Man, those things are vicious! I headed to an area that is typically difficult to get to unless the water is high enough. Several times I could see fish hunting in pairs, they looked like torpedoes shooting through water. In one instance as you will see in my video, I saw the pair chasing bait fish, so I casted a Booyah Paddle Crasher ahead of the bass. As I brought the frog towards them, one takes off with it. In this hookup, I got to excited, that I forgot to give it a good hookset. This bass does provide some great acrobats.

As I moved further down the spadderdocks, I come across a spot that looked similar to the previous one, so I tossed several casts and I believe it was on the 6th cast that two bass torpedo towards the frog. Bam! One of them inhales the frog and the fight is on. Another 17 inch bass. Now, this is fun!By the way, this section of the video I show all the casts to show a coworker that it isn't as simply casting and catching. There are times when you have to cast at differents spots of you target.

Further down, I come to another spot that looks like it may hold a bass or two. Unfortunately, no takers. Just as turn to begin paddling, I see some movement in the spadderdocks. I thought, toss a wacky worm to the edge, if it's a bass it will it. My first cast, nothing. Second cast was bit closer, just hanging off the spadderdock. As soon as gave my rod tip a shake, it was on. A quick strike and another 17 incher.

The biggest fish came on a stick bait. I position my kayak in the slop, tossed my stick bait ahead of a spot where I noticed some bait fish get spooked. I let the stick bait drift directly into that spot, a couple of taps and it was on. This fish pulled me out of the slop and into the outgoing tide. It was wild but fun ride this 17.5 inch bass gave me. In this video what you don't see is I was standing up, but because the outgoing tide had a good flow, I got turned around and was heading backwards. I immediately took a seat to avoid an unnecessary swim.

The trip turned out to be a great one. To be able to pull fish on a frog, spinnerbait, and a stick bait is a good feeling. Not to mention, I was challenged on Facebook by an old highschool buddy. The pressure was on and I'm glad I produced.


1 comment:

  1. Nicely done Andy! Gotta love the frog bite!! I'm headed your way on Friday for some snake hunting myself!

    ReplyDelete