Sunday, July 15, 2012

Fishing with Bees

I fished on Friday evening as the forecast called for storms and showers on Sunday. Well, Sunday came, alarm went off at 4:45 a.m., checked the weather, it was go time!

Because I didn't plan on going fishing, I had to pack and load. Which meant a late start. With a late start, came a slow start.

I managed to land one in the slop as I couldn't a them to bite on a stick bait. So, I tossed a Strike King Spinnerbait into a couple of open pockets where I noticed bait fish swimming for their life. BAM! On the second cast, I caught my first fish of the day. With limited holes wide enough to get my spinner in, it was time to move on.

I began tossing my spinner all along the edges until I got to my next spot. Bees were just all over the place. Some just got way too close to the ear. Hahahaaa...I managed to miss a couple with huge blowups but they were off the mark. Then, I felt the hardest hit since living out here in Northern, VA. Similar to the huge bass back home in Texas. However, this one was no bass. It as a huge snakehead. It pulled me and the kayak into the thick stuff until my line finally gave out. Yup, line snapped. Bummer!

I switched back over to the carolina rig with a stick bait at the end. I managed to catch one, but that was about it. I decided to go back further into the creek where I noticed ripples, a small current feeding into the main channel. I positioned my kayak in the thick matted grass and began pulling them out left and right. I managed to catch 5 before I called it a day with storms approaching. I lost two decent fish in that pocket, one was big girl.

This was the biggest of them all.



It was a great outing and I'm glad that I was able to make it out twice this weekend. There is nothing like spending good quality time out in the water. Until next time, tight lines!


No comments:

Post a Comment